Sun, Dec 17|
St. Monica School (Enter Door 15)
Indy's first 2-on-2 bughouse chess tournament for kids--a popular and fun variant of chess!
Time & Location
Dec 17, 2023, 1:45 PM – 6:00 PM
St. Monica School (Enter Door 15), 6131 Michigan Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46228, USA
About The Event
Announcing Indy Chess' first kids' Bughouse tournament--a chess tournament played in teams of two! All grades K-12 and skill levels are welcome to join us for this competition with the following details:
- Sunday, December 17 with check-in 1:45p-2:00p, player meeting at 2:15p, and games starting at 2:30p.
- Tournament is a seven-game round robin (i.e., 7 rounds or games), which means all teams play each other one time. The games are expected to be at 2:30p, 3p, 3:30p, 4p, 4:30p, 5p, and 5:30p, with awards briefly concluding at 6p. Games will begin as soon as prior round is complete, so tournament could end before 6pm. Tournament organizers reserve the right to change the format to suit registration numbers.
- Time control is 10 minutes per player, no increment/delay.
- Limit of 48 players on 24 teams of two. Players must register separately. A younger player can play up a section, but older players cannot play down a section. View pre-registered players here.
- Entry fee is $25 per player or $50 for a team before 12/15, or $60/team at the door.
- Three sections: 12th Grade & Under, 6th Grade & Under, and 3rd Grade & Under.
- Prizes: $100 in Amazon gift cards for 1st place (2 $50 gift cards) in each section, plus trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each section. All prizes quoted are based on 48 paid players, and may be adjusted down if that projected turnout is not achieved.
- No bye requests allowed. Teams must be present to play all seven rounds, and no team substitutions are allowed.
- Boards, pieces, and clocks are provided.
- Concessions will be available for sale.
- All children 12 and under must have responsible adult on-site during entirety of event. Kids can and will be disqualified if an adult is not present. Indy Chess does not provide supervision of children under 13. For children over 13, responsible adult must sign them in at check-in and leave their cell phone number.
- Skittles room and tables/chairs in lobby for parents. Guest WiFi available with password August27.
- Top boards may be livestreamed.
- The event is unrated (does not affect USCF rating), and notation is not needed.
- Fair play: No devices allowed. Phones must be turned off and face down. On-call personnel, contact TD.
- No refunds after December 8.
Here are some special Bughouse rules (see complete rules):
- It is "clock move," not "touch move." I.e., a move can be changed if the player has not yet hit their clock.
- Instead of moving a piece, players "on move" may add a piece their teammate captured to any open square on the board. Exceptions: Pawns cannot be added to the 1st or 8th rank.
- Pieces may be added to check or even checkmate the opponent.
- Checkmate on either board immediately ends the game.
- An illegal move immediately loses the game if claimed by the opponent before they make a subsequent move.
- Players may talk during the game, even giving move advice! But they may not touch each other's boards, pieces, or clocks.
We are really excited to offer this inaugural event, and hope to see you there!
Questions/Comments? Email Mike Chapuran at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 317-429-6952.
- Sale ends: Dec 17, 6:00 PM
Event Registration$25.00+$0.63 service fee