Mon, Jul 17|
St. Thomas Aquinas School (Bethany Room)
Chess Summer Camp!
A week-long, all day chess summer camp mixing outside large motor recreation and inside gray-matter skill-building.
Time & Location
Jul 17, 2023, 9:00 AM – Jul 21, 2023, 3:30 PM
St. Thomas Aquinas School (Bethany Room), 4600 N Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46208, USA
About The Event
Kids in 3rd-6th grade (will consider other grades case by case) who know how the chess pieces move and want to begin to unveil the beauty of the game at the next level are welcome to sign up!
Coach Mike Chapuran (a USCF-certified chess coach and tournament director, and founder of Indy Chess) will provide a limit of 15 students all of the following:
- Lessons on calculating before moving;
- Tactical games like chess hot potato and chess softball to practice newly taught patterns like forks, pins, skewers, and more;
- Checkmating patterns with just a Queen, just a Rook, and a solitary pawn promoting.
- Positive peer review of games;
- Introduce chess notation and tournament rules/etiquetts for beginners;
- A USCF-rated tournament for the attendees to practice tournament play;
- Bonus: A local Indiana chess master will visit to play a simultaneous exhibition with the students (i.e., the expert plays all the students at once!) on Friday;
- ...and of course there will be "Bughouse" time--a popular team version of chess popular with kids!
The day is too long to spend just on chess, so every hour alternates with a mix of organized and free recreational activity outside on the playground (or inside in the gym if raining).
Note: If your child already has a USCF rating, this camp is best designed for kids who are under 1000.
BeforeCare is available as early as 8:00am and AfterCare is available as late as 5:00pm for additional fees of $15/day/child (fee covers both before and after).
Questions? Email Mike at email@example.com. We hope to provide a great experience for your child(ren)!
If you are registering siblings, use discount code SIBLINGS for each child. Kids do not need to be members of Indy Chess to attend ($45/yr individual, $65/yr family), but benefits include $10 to camp plus a $5 discount to all IndyChess events (including weekly chess nights and monthly tourneys). Go to indychess.org/membership first if interested. Note: Before and AfterCare use will be registered and charged separately closer to the camp start date.From $215.00 to $225.00Sold Out
This event is sold out