Sun, Jan 22|
St. Thomas Aquinas School Gym
This is a USCF-rated, three-round tournament for kids from kindergarten to 12th grade that occurs the fourth Sunday of every month. Check-in is 12:30-12:45pm, and games are at 1:00pm, 2:00, and 3:00. Players will play every round, but must be members of US Chess.
Time & Location
Jan 22, 2023, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM
St. Thomas Aquinas School Gym, 4600 N Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46208, USA
About The Event
Kids who have learned how the pieces move and some basic strategy are welcome to enter the world of rated chess tournaments! All school-aged kids from kindergarten to 12th grade are welcome. Walk-ins are discouraged, as we would appreciate all registering online in advance. The chess playing room is a silent atmosphere to enable maximum concentration.
Here is the chess shorthand for the details (fully explained below): 3ss, g/25+5, USCF-rated (affects regular/quick), $10 ef, 12:30-12:45pm reg, rds 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00p, 3 sections (subject to change): 3rd&Und, 6th&Und, 12th&Und.
- 3ss: Three rounds in a "Swiss" system. A Swiss tournament--the most common form--means every player plays every round, with future rounds pairing those who won and those who lost.
- G/25+5: Games are 25 minutes on each players clock, plus 5 seconds added to a player's time when they hit the clock every move.
- USCF-rated: All players must be members of the US Chess Federation and provide a member ID# in online registration. The cost for the annual scholastic membership is $20. This will give each child a "rating" in chess that will follow them with each tournament they play. Ratings are in blitz, quick, and regular play, and the 25+5 time control affects their regular and their quick rating.
- ef: Entry Fee; reg: Registration
- 3 sections: Kids play only those in their age group (e.g., 3rd Grade & Under).
- Children under 10 years old must have an adult present and responsible for them, unless the parent/guardian has the permission of the tournament director.
- Light concessions are available.
- An outside playground is available.
- Parents may watch chess silently from the bleachers in the gym, or sit in chairs in the hallway.
- The site is wheelchair accessible.
- Parking is free in the lot in front of the school on the northwest corner of 46th Street and Illinois Ave. Overflow parking is available if needed for free on the northeast corner of the same intersection or along Illinois Ave. Please do not park at Common Ground Church (the southwest corner of the intersection).
- Chess sets, clocks, and notation sheets are provided for up to 40 kids. It is helpful if a child brings a regulation set and/or clock to ensure there are enough.
- Medals are provided to the winners in each section. Ten medals can be traded in for a trophy.
- With availability, strong chess players will be available to review games with kids in between rounds if desired.
- Orientation to clocks and chess notation is avialable at 12:30pm with peers 1:1 for newer players. Players who notate three games get to pick a prize from the bin at the end of the tournament!