Sun, May 21|
St. Thomas Aquinas School Gym
Scholastic Sunday Tournament
A chess tournament for kids from kindergarten to 12th grade, rated by the US Chess Federation!
Time & Location
May 21, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM
St. Thomas Aquinas School Gym, 4600 N Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46208, USA
About The Event
Note: This month's tournament is moved up a week from the usual fourth Sunday to avoid the Indy 500 race on May 28.
Kids who have learned how the pieces move and some basic strategy are welcome to enter the world of rated chess tournaments! All school-aged kids from kindergarten to 12th grade are welcome. Walk-ins are discouraged, as we would appreciate all registering online in advance. The chess playing room is a silent atmosphere to enable maximum concentration.
As a "rated" event, all players MUST be members of the US Chess Federation ($20/year). Before registering for this event, become a member of USCF here (you will need to write down your child's USCF ID#). However, being a member of Indy Chess--our local club--at $45/year/student or $65/year/family is optional. If interested, you can do that here to get a $5 discount on this event and every other one you attend this year with us, including Weekly Tuesdays, and support the growth of chess in Indy!
Here is the chess shorthand and the explained details of this event:
- Check-in on site: 12:20-12:40pm. Games start right after a player meeting at 1:00pm.
- 3ss: Three rounds in a "Swiss" system. A Swiss tournament--the most common chess form--means every player plays every round, with future rounds pairing those who won and those who lost.
- G/25+5: Games are 25 minutes on each players clock, plus 5 seconds added to a player's time when they hit the clock every move.
- USCF-rated: All players must be members of the US Chess Federation and provide a member ID# in online registration. The cost for the annual scholastic membership is $20. This will give each child a "rating" in chess that will follow them with each tournament they play. Ratings are in blitz, quick, and regular play, and the 25+5 time control affects their regular and their quick rating.
- Entry fee is $15/kid, or $10 for members of Indy Chess.
- Kids are divided into three sections so kids play only those in their age group (e.g., 3rd Grade & Under, 6th Grade & Under, and 12th Grade & Under). Want your child to "play up?" Just email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children under 12 years old must have an adult present and responsible for them, unless the parent/guardian has the permission of the tournament director.
- Light concessions are available.
- An outside playground is available.
- Parents may watch chess silently from the bleachers in the gym, or sit in chairs in the hallway. Unfortunately there is no WiFi.
- The site is wheelchair accessible.
- Parking is free in the lot in front of the school on the northwest corner of 46th Street and Illinois Ave. Overflow parking is available if needed for free on the northeast corner of the same intersection or along Illinois Ave. Please do not park at Common Ground Church (the southwest corner of the intersection).
- Chess sets, clocks, and notation sheets are provided for up to 40 kids. If the child has played in a tournament or two prior, it is helpful if they bring a regulation set and/or clock to ensure there are enough.
- Trophies are provided to the top three finishers in each section. Medals are awarded by the tournament director for great sportsmanship.
- With availability, strong chess players will be available to review games with kids in between rounds if desired.
- Orientation to clocks and chess notation is available at 12:30pm with peers 1:1 for newer players. Players who notate all three games get to pick a prize from the bin at the end of the tournament! Learn how to notate chess moves here (YouTube link).
Questions? Email Mike at email@example.com. We hope to see you there!
From $10.00 to $15.00
All players must be members of USCF (new.uschess.org/join-us-chess, $20/yr) to get a USCF ID#. Player do NOT need to be members of Indy Chess to play ($45/yr individual, $65/yr family), but benefits include $5+ discounts to all IndyChess events (including weekly chess nights). Go to indychess.org/membership first if interested.
From $10.00 to $15.00Price optionPriceQuantityTotal
Member of Indy Chess
+$0.25 service fee
+$0.25 service fee