Sun, Nov 26|
St. Monica School Gym
Scholastic Sunday Tournament
A chess tournament for kids from kindergarten to 12th grade, rated by the US Chess Federation!
Time & Location
Nov 26, 2023, 1:45 PM – 6:15 PM
St. Monica School Gym, 6131 Michigan Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46228, USA
About The Event
Kids who have learned how the pieces move and some basic strategy are welcome to enter the world of rated chess tournaments! All school-aged kids from kindergarten to 12th grade are welcome. Walk-ins are discouraged, as we would appreciate all registering online in advance. The chess playing room is a silent atmosphere to enable maximum concentration. Sign up here for a volunteer shift and get free admission!
As a "rated" event, all players MUST be members of the US Chess Federation ($20/year). Before registering for this event, become a member of USCF here (you will need to write down your child's USCF ID#). However, being a member of Indy Chess--our local club--at $45/year/student or $65/year/family is optional. If interested, you can do that here to get a $5 discount on this event and every other one you attend this year with us, including Weekly Tuesdays, and support the growth of chess in Indy!
Here is the chess shorthand and the explained details of this event:
- Check-in on site: 1:45-2:00pm at Door 15. Games start right after a player meeting at 2:15pm.
- 4ss: Four rounds in a "Swiss" system. A Swiss tournament--the most common chess form--means every player plays every round, with future rounds pairing those who won and those who lost. Up to two 1/2-point byes can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telling the tournament director at the event which rounds you would like byes.
- G/25+5: Games are 25 minutes on each players clock, plus 5 seconds added to a player's time when they hit the clock every move.
- USCF-rated: All players must be members of the US Chess Federation and provide a member ID# in online registration. The cost for the annual scholastic membership is $20. This will give each child a "rating" in chess that will follow them with each tournament they play. Ratings are in blitz, quick, and regular play, and the 25+5 time control affects their regular and their quick rating.
- Entry fee is $20/kid, or $15 for members of Indy Chess.
- Kids rated under 1000 are divided into three sections so kids play only those in their age group (e.g., 3rd Grade & Under, 6th Grade & Under, and 12th Grade & Under). Want your child to "play up?" Just email Mike at email@example.com. Notation is optional but encouraged in these sections.
- There are two "Premiere" sections for kids rated 1000-1399 and 1400+. Notation is required in the premiere sections.
- Children under 12 years old must have an adult present and responsible for them, unless the parent/guardian has the permission of the tournament director.
- Concessions are available (including pizza/popcorn during the school year; just drinks and candy/chips in summer).
- An outside playground is available.
- Parents may watch chess silently from the bleachers in the gym, or sit at tables in the cafeteria. There IS guest WiFi (password August27).
- The site is wheelchair accessible.
- Parking is free in the school lot. The best parking lot is by Door 15--not the doors near Michigan Rd. but around the back.
- Chess sets, clocks, and notation sheets are provided for up to 60 kids. If the child has played in a tournament or two prior, it is helpful if they bring a regulation set and/or clock to ensure there are enough.
- Trophies are provided to the top three finishers in each of the three lower sections. In the two premiere sections, a $25 Amazon gift card goes to the winner (decided by 5+0 blitz playoff if need be, Black/White randomly chosen).
- Players who notate at least 10 moves of a game get to pick a prize from the bin at the end of the tournament! Learn how to notate chess moves here (YouTube link).
Questions? Email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you there!
All players must be members of USCF (new.uschess.org/join-us-chess, $20/yr) to get a USCF ID#. Player do NOT need to be members of Indy Chess to play ($45/yr individual, $65/yr family), but benefits include $5+ discounts to all IndyChess events (including weekly chess nights). Go to indychess.org/membership first if interested.From $10.00 to $15.00
- $15.00+$0.38 service fee
- $10.00+$0.25 service fee